Food has a great influence on our image. It has effects on our weight, the appearance of our skin, nails or hair. So it’s no use following the trends of this spring-summer season or copying the latest makeup tricks if you don’t take care of your diet.
This post is not intended to be a nutrition guide but includes some tricks to improve one of the most important meals of the day: breakfast. A healthy and balanced breakfast is essential to start the day with energy and not to go hungry for the rest of the day. It is the first meal after 8-10 hours of not ingesting anything and helps us to wake up our metabolism at the same time that it starts our body. If you want to benefit from the advantages of a good breakfast, you should know this:
Foods to Include in a Healthy and Balanced Breakfast
Breakfast should contain 25% of the day’s caloric intake. I mean, it’s not enough to have a latte and run away from home.
To make a healthy and balanced breakfast we can start with fruit, which provides vitamins, milk, cheese or yogurt, which give us proteins and whole grains or oats, with complex carbohydrates that are released throughout the day.
To keep your ideas alive, you can include some of these combinations in your breakfast:
- Toasted bread with olive oil, natural tomato and a slice of turkey. A very Mediterranean combination, tasty and easy to prepare.
- Natural fruit. Add a handful of strawberries to your cereal or banana slices on toast for a different way to eat fruit for breakfast.
- Natural orange juice. Another way to incorporate fruit. No ready juice. Take the juicer and start the morning with energy.
- Whole grains or oatmeal. They contain complex carbohydrates that are released throughout the day and prevent that feeling of emptiness/hunger in the middle of the morning.
- Nuts. They provide omega 3 and are easy to incorporate into breakfast. You can have them alone, in yogurt, with the cereals….the way you like it.
- Milk or yogurt. They are two perfect sources of protein and calcium to include in a healthy and balanced breakfast.
Benefits of a Healthy and Balanced Breakfast
Time is the big culprit that many people do not eat breakfast 02 or do it badly. In the mornings we want to scratch as many minutes as possible and if sleeping a little longer means having less or worse breakfast doesn’t matter. It’s really a mistake, because breakfast helps us wake up and recharge our batteries for the rest of the day.
Our memory and ability to concentrate increase when we eat properly, so skipping breakfast makes us more tired. It also activates our metabolism, which ultimately helps us maintain a healthy weight.
Problems Arising from not Having a Good Breakfast
When we don’t have breakfast or don’t do it well, you can tell. The energy is lower all day long, our concentration decreases and everything seems to go wrong.
Try not to skip breakfast any day, but if you haven’t had a choice, take a mid-morning snack to avoid getting to the starving meal.
Is breakfast important to you? What do you usually have for breakfast?